Saturday, September 11, 2010

A tale of a photographer

A man selling souvenirs on a broken bench


Humans have always been social creatures. Everything we do requires communication, be it face to face or through the media and it goes without saying that as a photographer your communication skills plays an important role as well if your subjects are humans. Whether they are hired models or strangers on the street, respect should always be given as well as privacy. (Though the latter may not apply for hired models.) Since my last trip in Bangkok, I have learned a lot about communicating with strangers and overcoming the language barrier.


A street worker taking a break under a makeshift cover.

A land with origins dating back to hundreds of years ago, Thailand has evolved into a country with people of strong hearts and minds, along with a wide variety of local food and traditions leading to a culturally rich country. Besides the recent riots, the people of Thailand however are still friendly and open as their country relies heavily on the tourism industry which has felt the effects of the violence caused by the riots which took the lives of a couple of foreigners as well. While I was there I came across many interesting characters including a street worker sitting in a makeshift resting area erected right next to the hotel I was staying in. I took up my camera and took a few shots when he realized that he was being photographed. He just looked up and gave a sincere smile while I took a couple more shots of him posing with his hand phone. Pleased, I went to him and showed him the photo I took on the LCD screen. He asked me where I was from and we exchanged a couple of polite words before I continued on my way into the hotel. While for times like this I didn't necessarily asked for permission to take their photos because he voluntarily posed for me, but othersie I would normally ask if the person looks at me with a puzzled expression instead.

In the Chatuchak market of Bangkok, I saw a man sitting on a c
ushioned chair sketching the market scene before him. I knelt down from a respectful distance and took some shots. However when he looked at me and I asked if I could take a photo by putting up my fore finger he just ignored me and continued with his sketch. The point is that while most people would appreciate and even be flattered for having their photographs taken, there would always be some who wouldn't be too happy and that is when you should know when to take your leave. As a photographer you should always respect people's privacy, culture, beliefs as well as their customs to prevent misunderstandings from happening. Always remember, the people comes first.
A man sitting on a rag cloth looking on while dozens of tourists and locals walk past him.

I have covered the communications as a photographer but what of the heart of a photographer? While I was there, I saw the lower class of Thailand quite a lot as well. Beggars sitting by the road, a blind man singing in hopes of earning some money and a poor old man who could barely climb down a flight of stairs. Ever since I picked up my first camera and started taking photos, I have viewed the world from a different perspective. I can now see the suffering and not just look and feel sorry, but actually doing something to help them. My eyes has been opened to the many trials of life that may it be god you believe in, or any other divine being that has thrown in our lives. While the fortunate ones may be more better ready to take on the obstacles in life, some unfortunately aren't as lucky. I wish to tell the story of these people of the world, though often overlooked, they are as every bit as important and significant as the the leaders of the world. For they remind us of the pain of life, of how life isn't always as comfortable for everyone. I do not just take photos of these people and walk off, when I can help I do. Though I may just be a single person, I know that my efforts to help is not futile, because you're a single person as well, and together we make the world.

Singing for his life


This lesson became especially important to me in Bangkok. At the market of Chatuchak, I saw a blind man singing with his soul. Carrying a wooden speaker strapped to his body, he sang as if he was competing for a competition. It was however a competition where only the winner survives. I didn't have any small change and only had 500baht notes (RM50.00) so I bought a bottle of water and gave some of the change to him. I tried to give him the bottle of water as well but he wouldn't accept it. I appreciated his willpower though, he was living proof that no matter what life throws at you, you just have to keep it strong and never let go of hope. He was singing with his heart. He was singing for his life.

The pain can be seen in his eyes


I also gave some money to a small group of girls who were most probably barely eight years old playing the violin by the road side. After taking some photos, I gave them a small sum of money as well as a token of appreciation and of good will. I did the same as well when an old man wearing haggard clothes walked past me. I could see the pain in his eyes, the sufferings he has endured during his long life. Of course, I did not hesitate to photograph him, but once I was done I did not just walk away. I gave him a bit of money, while he slowly shuffled his weak legs across the market. As a photographer, I appreciate everything this world has to offer. Its a beautiful world, with diverse cultures, traditions and customs as well as the different economic classes. But if there is one thing we all have in common, it is our heart. I strive to capture that serene fleeting moment when the heart of that individual can be seen on his face, telling you the story of his life and everything he has gone through. We all have a heart, no matter who you are or what color you are. I am therefore very grateful for that and will continue to strive to capture those moments when it is shown in the form of the individual's face.... And I will not forget those who's heart is in need of help.

The hardship a young child faces at such an age



Written by Lucas Yap Shau Wei

Photos by Lucas Yap Shau Wei

Do follow and comment, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment